Thursday 17 May 2012

Peddars Way Preparation

Peddars Way Preparation

It's fair to say I'm not as prepared as I should be.  By that I mean I have not done anywhere enough walking recently.  Knocking out an 8-10 miler tomorrow would not cause me much worry but 53 miles in four days is something different.  Tender spots become blisters and aches become pains.  Saying that, I'm looking forward to it!

The planning (done by Nick on this trip) breaks the trek into 4 days, 17.05, 11.5, 12.6 and 12.29 miles.  The first day is the obvious killer.  Whilst there is little ascent, it will be the furthest I've ever walked in one go.  And to top it off we are camping so we are carrying our full packs.

Luckily I've been quite strict with what I'm packing and as such my base load (pack with no food or water) should be around 9kg's.  Depending on the weather I might get that below 9, but cold nights this week have lead to some changes.  Exped Synmat in the place of the Exped Airmat UL and the addition of a down vest and Icebreaker leggings.  These changes alone add over 1Kg.

My quest to save Kg's might seem perverse to some, as I'm weighing everything I'm taking, when I am 10's of kilos overweight!  Well the simple answer is that I'm 'used' to my weight and addition weight in the pack is as noticeable to me as someone who weighs 10 stone wet through.

Now how heavy is that Pot Noodle?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, hope all goes well!

    The Peddars Way must be an ideal jaunt for someone who "don't do hills". 53 miles in 4 days sounds a lovely pace - doable, but not ridiculously challenging. Have a great time, and do tell us how you got on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I survived! More details will be blogged later, however I do have quite sore feet!

    ReplyDelete