Monday 29 September 2014

Quick review - zPacks Solplex

The zPacks Solplex is a single walled lightweight shelter designed and made in the USA.  I have spent 16 nights so far in mine, so this is more of an initial review rather than a long term review.  I took this shelter straight out on my trip, no practice, no checking, I DO NOT recommend this for any piece of gear and it is rather foolhardy.


The shelter is quick and easy to erect.  I bought carbon poles from zPacks rather than use my trekking poles, this was partly due to knowing that I had no time to test and practice getting the heights correct.  It took some of the guesswork out.

The tent gets its strength from 4 key anchor points and these do need to be pretty strong. On my first night using the tent I struggled at first because the ground wouldn’t hold the pegs.  It was very dry and the soil just crumbled, more than once a peg pinged out of the ground when the tension was applied.  A few well-placed rocks solved that issue!

The peg ‘pinging’ issue happened a few times, even using Clam-Cleat Tornados.   Choose your pegs wisely.   I’d take 4 strong/reliable stakes, with 4 lightweight ones (I used MSR Carbon pegs for the other tie outs). 


Most nights were dry (and fairly cold) but I did have rain twice.  Once was a few showers and the other was heavy rain and hail.  The shelter did as it was supposed to and kept me dry.  During the heavy rain a good sized puddle formed around the tent but the deep bath tub did its job and I stayed dry.  The high sides (for ventilation) do mean that during heavy rain you can get a little splash back against the mesh inner.  Heavy rain with hard bare dirt leads to a decent sized splash, on home (grassy) soil I don’t think this will be as great an issue.

Apart from the 2 nights of rain I slept with the door open and had no condensation issues.  The only times I got condensation was during the rain, when the door was fully shut.


It’s not the biggest of shelters, so while there is enough room for a full sized Exped Synmat, don’t expect acres of space.  I did wonder how I’d cope with more rain (packing bag, changing clothes, cooking, etc, inside the tent) and I think I would have struggled.  I’m not the most flexible of campers!

Overall, I like the Solplex.  Lightweight, waterproof, midgeproof and pretty idiot proof.  I’ll use it in the UK during Spring/Summer with no qualms.  If the weather looks wet, I might take the MLD Duomid for the extra space (especially to cook in).

(I had an issue with one corner of the shelter, I couldn’t get it tight.  It didn’t affect the performance, just gave a little less room and didn’t look right.  A quick email after my trip to Joe at zPacks resulted in Joe suggesting  it might have been sewn wrong.  Joe sent out a replacement straight away.  Excellent customer service. However, this is why you should ALWAYS test/check gear before using it!)

Note – I paid for this item with my own cash.

6 comments:

  1. Great to see a review as I've just got the Duplex - partly because of the space issue you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how are you going with the space issue width-wise? I too am not that flexible and it looks really tight (I'm 5 6" so length/height would be okay). Can you get all/most of your gear in the tent? If you were to buy it over again would you go for the Altoplex? How did it go long term? Thanks for a great review...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been great in the long term, though I really haven't used it as much as I'd like, but still no issues in the long term.

    Depending on the weather I generally leave my rucksack in the porch (if it rains it will get wet) as its tight inside. With a full size exped there was about 6-9 ish inches to one side for storage internally. In bad weather its cosy when i bring everything in. For the weight increase I'd be tempted by the Altoplex. I had no problems with the height or length of the solplex, but for a bit more room in the width I'd be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy for the reply...my PCT plans are firming up, but I still haven't actually been able to bring myself pull the trigger on the tent...it's that width problem!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Andy for the reply...my PCT plans are firming up, but I still haven't actually been able to bring myself pull the trigger on the tent...it's that width problem!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review and updated comments. I am tossing back and forward on the Solplex or the Altaplex. I have pretty much discounted the other options.

    My only concern is the packed size as I will use this mainly bikepacking. Do you have any thoughts on its packed size?

    ReplyDelete